Friday, April 23, 2010

Tips and Warnings for Booking Flights Online

Have you ever tried getting airline tickets at the hight of the travel season?  It is stressful and expensive.  Everyday you wait, you watch the prices go up and the good flights (you know, the ones that don't put you on a layover in every country from here to Japan before dropping you off at, say, London).


Well, I have spent about 80 hours a week trying to coordinate six people, three from Philly and three from Detroit, to arrive in Florence in late June.  This particular booking, more than any other, has taught me a thing or two.
Below, are my tips and warnings for booking flights online.


Tip #1.  Prices fluctuate daily according to peak web traffic hours.
I consider this my most valuable new discovery.  I have tested and re-tested this theory and it has proved true almost every time.  When booking a flight through an online consolidator (such as Orbitz, Travelocity, or Priceline) if you do your bookings from 8am- 10pm they will be more expensive than if you wait to do it in the early, early morning or the dead of night.  Also, avoid the weekends entirely as prices rises up to $200 a ticket before falling back down on Monday.


Tip #2. Call the airlines directly, then call them again.
If you have the time, call the airlines directly to book your tickets.  You will be charged with a booking fee of around $30, but if you find someone who is willing to hit that computer for you, they may be able to find you cheaper tickets.  I've actually called the same airline three times in a row and usually on the third or second call, I will find someone who is willing to hunt for those cheap fares for me.  It's worth a try.  


Tip #3.  Delta has a very user friendly, and well priced site.
Most airlines will quote you more a more expensive flight than the consolidators will.  However, I did actually find cheaper prices on Delta's site.  It is very easy to use as well and you can feel safe when giving them your information.


Tip #4.  When flying to Europe, booking a flight to London and taking a European airline to your final destination can be cheaper.
I have flown from Italy to Spain for 28EU round trip.  I am not kidding.  There are some very cheap inter-European flights available.  Try EasyJet or Ryan Air.
For the Leisurely Traveler: This may not be the best idea for someone who values convenience and comfort over price.  Typically, these airlines fly into cities which can be hours away from the countries' main airports.  


Tip #5. Try flying in to a different city.
We are renting a vacation villa in Tuscany.  However, tickets were about $250 a piece cheaper to fly to Rome.  We were renting a van there anyway, so we decided to fly into Rome and take the three hour drive to Florence.  


Warning #1.  Stick with the big guys.
I was searching for a particular flight.  It was available, but only for a very expensive price.  I tried Orbitz, who said they had it in my price range, went through the booking process, only to be told it was no longer available.  But they told me.  Instantly.  


I looked at another online consolidator, one I had never heard of before and found the same flight at a good price.  I booked it.  They took my credit card information and said it was mine.  I walked away from my computer happy and worry-free.  Every hour, prices were rising and flights were disappearing and now I could rest knowing I had my ticket.  
The next day, I checked my e-mail.  Sorry, it read, we couldn't get you your ticket after all.  How about taking this much more expensive ticket with two layovers which will have your arrival time at five hours later in the day?  
I called the company, left a message, called back and couldn't understand the operator's accent, then I called back a third time and a man yelled at me and told me I didn't know how to read.  A nightmare.  
So, the lesson I learned here is- stick with the companies you know.  I booked with Expedia, paid $100 extra for a direct flight, and will get in two hours ahead of my grandparents so I can help them with their luggage and have the rental car waiting for our drive to Florence.


Warning #2 Get People's Names.
NOTE: This is a rant.  This is just a rant.  If this were an actual emergency- I would have thrown my computer at the wall.
I can't find my grandparents a ticket to Rome for less than $1300.  I need three tickets for their party and, with an Aunt who has CP and two seniors, I can't have them flying halfway around the country stopping in every airport.  
We decided to use their Frequent Flier Miles to offset the price, yet needed a particular credit card to do so.  The operator told us she would absolutely get the cards to them within three business days.  Seven days later, they have still not arrived and prices are rising.  Unfortunately, we did not get the operator's name, so the credit card company is unwilling to take any action to help us.  We, "just have to wait".  I have never been so angered and frustrated in my life. 


On that note, I have to go and call my grandpa and see if the cards came.  Wish us luck!





No comments:

Post a Comment